Login Board

Have an account? Log In

Family Registration
Nanny Registration

Is Best Nannies a Full Service Nanny Agency?

No. Best Nannies is not an agency. We are an employment website which has job openings for live in caregiver positions posted by families in Canada. Caregivers can register accounts, post your resumes and apply for any job listed on the site. Should you get a job and require assistance with the processing of your visa please contact us.


How much will I have pay for registering with Best Nannies?

Best Nannies is currently not charging for registering with our service. However, for any applicants wishing to include a professional back ground check, charges will apply.


How do I know if I am qualified to work in Canada as a Live in Caregiver?

In order to be considered to work in Canada as a Live in Caregiver there are specific minimum requirements which must be met by the candidates.

  1.  Successfully completed the equivalent of a Canadian secondary school education
  2. Have at least six months’ training or at least one year of full-time paid work experience as a caregiver or related field (including six months with one employer) in the past 3 years
  3. 18 years of age or older
  4. No criminal record
  5. Must be in excellent health (required to pass a medical exam)
  6. Good knowledge of English or French

If you meet this minimum requirements then you can work as caregiver in Canada.


I cannot afford airfare to Canada. How will I get there if I secure a job?

Don’t worry about the cost of the flight to Canada as this is the responsibility of the employer.


As a caregiver can I return home for a vacation?

Yes. The length of the vacation should be clearly stated in your employment contract.


As a caregiver or nanny, what are my rights under the labour and employment laws of Canada?

As a live-in caregiver, you have legal rights to fair working conditions and fair treatment under labour laws in most provinces and territories. Nothing in your contract or working conditions can violate these rights. Your employment contract will help protect your rights as an employee.

You also have the right to leave an unsatisfactory employer.  Regulation 185 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations lists the conditions that may be put on your work permit.

Working conditions, such as minimum hourly wages, vary widely across Canada. You should find out what the labour laws are where you work by checking with your provincial or territorial labour standards office


What experience and education do I need to apply as a caregiver or nanny?

In order to apply for entrance into Canada under the Live in Caregiver program applicants must;

a) Successfully completed the equivalent of a Canadian High School Education which is the equivalent of 72 credits of college or university in the Philippines.

b) Completed at least 6 month of full-time classroom training related to early childhood education, geriatric care, pediatric nursing or first aid


c) 12 months of full-time paid experience in a field directly related to care giving, including at least 6 months of continuous employment with the same employer.

d) You must be able to speak, read and understand either English or French to a level which enables you to function on your own in your employer’s home.  i.e be able to call for emergency services if needed, understand labels on medication etc. 


Can I apply for permanent residency in Canada?

Yes, employment under the Live in Caregiver Program entitles you to apply for permanent residency.  You must have the following work experience in order to apply;

  • 24 months of authorized ful-time employment or
  • 3,900 hours of full-time employment.  These hours can be completed within a minimum of 22 months.  390 hours of overtime pay can be included in the calculation; and
  • The work experience must be acquired within four years of your date of arrival

To learn more about permanent residency please visit Requirements to become a permanent resident page.


Do I need to pay taxes when I work in Canada?

Yes, all workers in Canada are required to pay tax to the Canadian government. The proportion of tax varies from province to province. Along with income tax you will also be required to pay Employment Insurance as well as Canada Pension. These payments will be automatically be deducted from you income and clearly indicated in your pay slip.


Will I be able to work for more than 1 employer at a time under the Live in Caregiver Program?

No, caregivers are no allowed to work for more than one employer at a time. Your work permit clearly specifies your employer as well as the type of work you may do in Canada.


If I am asked to work on my day off will I get paid?

Yes.  Caregivers should be paid for any extra work (overtime) according to the employment law in the province or territory you work. Overtime rates can be checked at the appropriate provincial or territorial labour standards office.

Don't See the Answer You Need?

We will gladly help you!